Saturday 3 January 2015

Introduction

My husband, James and I decided to try not eating meat back in April 2014 following a few disturbing documentaries on how animals are treated, but not only that, the damage the mass farming does to the environment we live in.  The first few days were a bit tough, especially going to barbeques and the like, but it's now a new year and I haven't really missed meat that much at all.  In fact, I see it for what it is now, a dead animal - yuck!

I've always loved the taste of meat but for me, I cannot "unsee" what I've seen already.

So, the vegan thingie... we watched another documentary and I realised being veggie wasn't really going to solve anything and to make a real difference I'd have to abstain from all animal products.  Often when people leave out meat from their diet they substitute it with cheese and milky products etc.  I think I was probably eating more cheese as a veggie than I did when I was eating the actual meat and there are huge problems for me when thinking about dairy. 

There is the bit about milk coming from cows, often kept in horrible conditions.  How does a cow produce milk?  It is usually artificially inseminated (not nice but if I go into too much detail here... well I just don't have time frankly!) becomes pregnant and then has it's children taken away from it straight from birth.  Then, the milk that was meant for it's calves is sold to us lot because we like the taste!

Also there's male chicks, when thinking about eggs and that, male chicks aren't any good for much in the food circles - the odd one for helping make new chicks but that's it.  So the male chicks go into a big crusher machine thingie ALIVE - straight off a conveyor belt!  This, for me, is just so wrong.

The aim of this blog isn't to teach or preach or any of that but I know a few of my friends will be interested in my journey towards veganism and some may even want to give it a go, even just one day a week.

So please, don't take offence, it's just my opinions and a few facts which you can take with you and use whichever way you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment