Saturday 3 January 2015

The first day

I started on my new vegan journey yesterday.  The first thing I noticed that was different about becoming vegan, compared to vegetarian (or officially pescetarian as I was still eating fish occasionally) was will power.  In my introduction to this blog I mentioned how the very sight of meat makes me feel a bit sick, well that hasn't happened to me with milk, cheese, eggs etc.  (It especially hasn't happened in relation to the trifle left overs in the fridge!!).  I'm having to use my imagination a bit more on this one, remembering why it is perpetuating some very cruel practices. 

I don't' think I'll make a very good vegan while the kids are still living at home.  I don't buy meat so they eat a lot of Quorn products at home but they can have meat anywhere else, it's the buying part I don't want to do.  They have meat at school, at grandparents' house and when visiting friends, it's completely their choice whether they want to eat the meat or go for the veggie option like Mummy and Daddy.  As for dairy, I'm still going to buy that for them and probably for another few years as they are quite young and I'm not that good at "creative cooking".

Another reason I'm not going to be great - I love cats, we have two cats, cats like meat!  I buy meat but only for the cats and I can't really afford to go all fancy with the food I give them so for the time being, that's one thing that's got to give for me.

But with all this taken into account, yesterday, the first day, was a very good vegan day.  I had fruit for breakfast, herbal teas (not sure about the substitute milk in normal tea yet, a bit yuck still) a salad sandwich with home made dressing for lunch and we all had spaghetti bolognaise for our dinner.  The kids had quorn mince and James and I had squash and extra tomatoes in place of mince and we all had a pinch of chia seeds mixed in too - it was lovely!




No comments:

Post a Comment