Saturday 3 January 2015

Supply and demand

I've had some exceptional feedback on Facebook today regarding this blog.  I'm really pleased that people have been engaging and offering support and ideas for us - it's amazing!

We have two chickens, named Emily and Mia (after the lady Power Rangers, named by the children!) and we loved having really fresh eggs for a couple of years.  They're not laying now though and I've been asked if I would eat their eggs in my newly veganal (read it again!) state.  The answer is most likely no.  This is because I feel the market for selling birds is going to be similar to that of selling eggs, the male chickens don't get to live and the females are produced on demand in order to make money.  However, one friend did bring up an interesting thought one day recently; if I were to rescue ex battery hens, would that be different?  And yes, I suppose it would.  They have had a rubbish life and would be going to slaughter if not saved by good animal (or egg) loving folk.  I'm not sure how long they'd lay for after being in such conditions but I think I might partake in an egg or two from these lovelies.

The same theory could be applied to, say, having our own cow or goat to get our milk and with milk there is the added problem I covered breifly in my introduction to this blog.  Mamals only produce milk when they are pregnant or have young children.  So, even if we had our own cow, that cow would have to be made pregnant and the child either taken away so we can use the milk or we share the milk with the calf?  We certainly don't have room for any cows, goats or additional children (animal or human!) so again that's a no go for us.

James has quite rightly pointed out that having your own hens and using their eggs is a much better way of doing it than buying from supermarkets if you do want to include eggs in your diet, or maybe even a local farm shop where you know the chickens are being looked after.  Like anything, there are varying degrees between full on eating meat, fish and all animal products and being a fully fledged vegan eating only raw fruit and veg - and again, this blog contains my thoughts and feelings and is in no way intended to preach but just give thoughts and ideas that others may find useful.

Today we've eaten... cereal with coconut milk (very yummy), seed roast with onion gravy and greens for lunch (soooo yummy! - see pic) and currently eating a lovely but slightly over chillied salad.  Lots of fruit for snacks and a few more fruit and herbal teas going on.

Two days down, feeling pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment